How to Use Departments
Departments provide a way to organize employees and manage staff that does not regularly work in the field. Employees can be assigned to departments based on the services they provide or their job within the organization. Departments are most commonly used for administrative staffers that rarely work in the field.
Table Of Contents
Create a New Department
Follow the steps below to create a new department.
- Hover over the "Employees" tile from the Live Dashboard. Select the "Departments" option in the pop-out menu.
- Click on the [+ Create Department] button.
- Add a name for the department (required) and include details about the department (optional). These details are for reference only.
- Click on the [Save] button to create the department.
Create Positions in a Department
Position can be created in departments. This will allow employees to be scheduled at the department under the position they work. In the example above, the "Administrative" department was created for all employees in the office. Positions were created for the different jobs in the office such as Office Assistant, Dispatch Monitors and a Schedule Manager. To create a new position:
- From the department, click on the "Positions" tab.
- Click on the [+ Create a Position] button.
- Provide a name for the position.
- Enter pay information if applicable. In the example above, a pay rate was set for Business Development. This rate will apply to any employee working at the Business Development position.
- Click on the [Save] button to create the position.
Scheduling At Department Positions
Note that each of the positions created for the zone are available in the schedule. Any employees assigned to the department will then be able to work one of the positions in the department. To access the department schedule from the department section complete the steps below.
- Select the "Schedules" tab from the department page.
- Click on the [Prepare] button to access the schedule and begin creating shifts.
Scheduling shifts is discussed in the Scheduling Chapter.
Assign Employees to the Department
Once employees are assigned to a department they will be able to work positions in the department. To assign an employee to a department:
- Click on the [+ Assign Employee] button.
- Begin typing the name of the employee. Once the name appears in the pop-up list, click on the name of the employee.
- Set an hourly pay rate for the employee, if applicable.
- Click on the [Save] button to assign the employee to the department.
Continue this process for each employee that will be working in the department.
Edit A Department Employee
To edit a department employee:
- Click the [Edit] button.
- Add the employee pay rate for the department.
- Add the effective date of the pay rate.
- Click [Save].
Remove A Department Employee
To remove an employee from a department:
- Click the [Remove] button.
- Check the box if you would like to vacate the employee's shifts
- Select the effective date of the removal.
- Click the [Save] button.