This section of the Settings menu allows you to control what different users have access to in TrackTik depending on their Role within the system and allows you to set a specific password policy for logging in. This section also contains an area that will enable you to determine white-listed IPs and can access the system depending on which site they are working.
Table of Contents
The terms roles and permissions are sometimes used interchangeably. However, they are fundamentally different. Permissions are individual privileges such as the ability to view or edit information in the system. A role is a collection of permissions. In other words an officer role would be defined by a series of permissions that provide officer-level users access to only the functionality required for their duties. When unsure, it is considered a best practice to begin with the minimal requires (permissions) for each role. These can always be modified as new needs are identified.
Accessing the Roles / Permissions in Dashboard Settings
Options for creating and modifying the permissions assigned to a role are available in the "Roles & Security" section of the dashboard settings. To access this option:
- Click on the "Settings" tile from the left-hand side menu.
- Select the "Roles & Security" option from the settings menu.
- Click on the "Roles/Permissions" tab.
Description of the Different Portal Options
There are three different portals a user can access in the TrackTik system.
- Admin Portal: Users in the Admin Portal will have access to all sites and employees by default. You can adjust which features Admin users have access to, but there is no way to segment specific groups such as departments of employees or groups of clients. Admins will have access to all sites and employees or none.
- Staff Portal: The Staff portal is most often used for officers, site supervisors, and account managers. Users in the Staff Portal only have access to the sites that are assigned to them.
- Client Portal: Clients will only have access to their site. You can give a client access to multiple sites by attaching sub-sites to their account.
Creating a New User Role
To Add a New Permission Level:
- Click on the [Add Role] button.
- Give the new permission a name and description.
- Use the drop-down menu to select the portal that the user will be accessing. Once you are done, click the [Save] button to create the role.
Configure Permission for the User Role
To Configure a Permission Level:
- Select the Permission level you would like to configure.
- Click on the folders to open the access options for different modules of the system.
- Select the Permission you would like to grant the user by clicking on the check box next to the Permission description. The system will automatically save the changes.
You can set restrictions for the type of passwords that can be used in your account with the Password Policy. Each one of the fields in this window will provide an option for setting a password rule. Once you have set the password policy, users will not be allowed to use passwords that do not comply with the password policy. After any of the rules for the password policy have been modified, click on the [Send] button to apply the changes.