Table of Content
Payroll Schedules can be created for different groups of employees. For example, salaried and hourly employees can have different payroll cycles. The options configured in the payroll schedule will define the rules for pay in that period. This includes the payroll cycle, period start day, how to manage shifts that overlap payroll periods and different overtime calculation.
Accessing BackOffice Default Settings
Follow the steps below to access the default settings in the BackOffice.
- From the Live Dashboard, click on the "Settings" button. It will bring you to all the settings for your portal.
- The items shown in the "Backoffice Configurations" menu, are the options for configuring the default settings for back office.
Create a Payroll Schedule
- Once the Settings page loads, select the Payroll Schedule option from the left menu.
- Click the "+ New Payroll Schedule" button.
- A dialog box will appear, you will then have to complete the requested data:
- Label: Name representing the pay schedule. (If you require more than one Payroll Schedule, be precise in your description so that it is easy to identify each group)
- Frequency: Select the appropriate payroll frequency. Weekly, Bi-weekly. Every 2 weeks, Semi-Monthly. Twice a month or Monthly. For more information about Semi-Monthly please refer to the section below.
- Select the Period Start Time:
- Select the First Period Start Date: Based on the frequency chosen, from the calendar icon, select the first day of the period that the payroll will start on. Example: Weekly. For a week from the 5th to the 11th. You would select the 5th as your First Period Start Date.
- Period Overlapping Strategy: If a shift is split over two pay cycles, select if it is to be included with the current pay cycle or if the hours are to be split into the cycle they each belong to. Example, Let's take the same week as above, from the 5th to the 11th. If a shift was starting on the 11th at 10 pm until 4 am on the 12th, we need to know if the full shift will be included in the week of the 5th or if the 4 hours on the 12th will be allotted to the pay cycle of the week starting on the 12th.
- Holiday Overlapping Strategy: If a shift is scheduled partly on a holiday, select if the full shift should be paid as a holiday or if only the hours that land on the holiday should be paid as a holiday. Example, Let's take a shift that starts on labour day at 10 pm until 4 am on the next day, we need to know if the full shift will be paid as a holiday or if the 4 hours on the next day are paid as regular hours.
- Holiday Overtime Rule: Select the option that applies to know if holiday worked hours will be considered in the overtime calculation for the period or not.
- Use weighted overtime calculation method: Select Yes if you are using a weighted overtime calculation method or No is you are not.
- Time slices with multiple paycodes: The default option here is to use the paycode that generates the highest pay rate. However if you are using "stack premiums", please select that option instead of the default.
- Click the [Save] button to save the changes. If appropriate, repeat for each required Payroll Schedule.
Please make sure you review your payroll schedule information before clicking Save. Once a payroll schedule is created it cannot be deleted. If an error occur, please create a new one and then contact our support team to know how to get it removed.
Using a Semi-Monthly Payroll Schedule
The Semi-Monthly Frequency option will populate two additional fields on the pop-up window. Each of these fields uses a drop-down menu to select when payroll cycles will begin, dividing the month into two separate payroll cycles. The example above would be common for salaried employees that are always paid at the beginning and middle of the month.
- From the drop-down menu select the "Semi-Monthly. Twice a month" option.
- Use the drop-down menu to select the beginning of the first payroll cycle for the month.
- Use the drop-down menu to select the beginning of the second payroll cycle for the month.
- Complete the other fields in the window and click on the [Save] button.